Gelatin is water soluble heterogeneous mixtures of proteins having high molecular mass present in bones and collagens. Gelatin is made up of amino acids glycine and proline which are required for hair growth, optimal immune function and weight regulation. These proteins are extracted by boiling skin, tendon and ligaments in water. Gelatin is irreversible hydrolyzed form of collagen resulting in reduction of protein into smaller peptides having high molecular weight. Gelatin is tasteless and odorless protein n soluble in aqueous solutions of polyhydric alcohols and water. These proteins are highly sensitive to temperature, where upper and lower melting point depends on composition and concentration of proteins. Gelatin are obtained through reducing cross linking of proteins between collagen components and removing other impurities such as fats and salts either by water or acid solutions at appropriate temperature. This is followed by multistage process of extraction including filtration, distillation, drying and sifting.
Applications using gelatin include coating cell culture plates to improve cell attachment for a variety of cell types, used in DNA sequencing techniques such as PCR to stabilized Taq DNA and used as blocking agent in diagnostic techniques like Western Blotting, ELISA and immunohistochemistry. Furthermore, gelatin is used for administrating bioactive molecules and in generation of scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Another major application of gelatin is used in pharmaceutical industry as suspending agent, encapsulating and binding agent production of wide range of pharmaceuticals including wound dressing, homeostatic sponges and blood volume substitutes. Moreover, gelatin helps in reducing risk of intestinal damage, ease symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, improves sleep quality, and helps in skin and cell rejuvenation.
Increasing demand and use of gelation in food and pharmaceutical applications and rise in demand and adoption of convenience foods especially in emerging markets such as India and China will drive growth of the market. Gelatin is frequently used as gelling agents in number of applications including nutraceuticals functional foods, personal care and photography. Furthermore, increasing demand for Kosher and halal certified products and increased used of gelation in pharmaceutical and food industry will further propel growth of the global market. However, presence and development of new substitute such as polysaccharide is expected to slow down growth of the market.
Some of the major players operating in the global market include Rousselot S.A.S, Tessenderlo Group, Nitta Gelatin Inc., Capsugel Inc., Catalent Pharma Solutions, Norland Products Inc., Roxlor LLC, Gelita AG, and Gelken Gelatin Co. Ltd. Mergers and acquisitions are common strategies adopted by market players to expand their product portfolio and expand their business boundaries. For instance in Februarys 2017, Catalent, Inc. had acquired Accucaps to expand their soft gel development and manufacturing capabilities. Soft gel is dosage form of medicine consisting of gelatin based shell surrounding a liquid fill.
Emerging and developing markets are expected to provide lucrative growth opportunities for key players owing to large population with higher need for nutritional food products. Scientist are focusing on developing new approach for producing next generation human derived gelatin to replace animal based gelatin used in all kinds of edibles like desserts, candies and other food products. Furthermore, increasing applications of gelatin in pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals industry will provide ample growth opportunities for market players. Furthermore, advancements in food encapsulation technology and delivery system for food ingredient will enhance growth of the market in coming years.
Gelatin Market Segmentation
By Raw Material
- Bovine Hides
- Cattle Bones
- Pig Skin
- Gelling Agent
- Dairy Products
- Meat & Poultry Products
- Personal Care
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country