Gas chromatography is a separation mechanism used to separate the components of a sample between two phases viz. a stationary phase and mobile phase. The primary components involved in a gas chromatography system are the carrier gas system, sample introduction system, the column, gas chromatograph detector and integrator. During a gas chromatography separation, the sample vaporizes and is carried by the mobile phase through the column of a chromatograph which uses a liquid stationary phase. Separation of components is achieved based on relative vapor pressure and the interaction of these components with the stationary phase. The chromatographic separation of components occurs due to the difference in the distribution constant of these components. The distribution constant denotes the level of interaction between the component and the stationary phase and it controls the movement of these distinct components through the column.
Gas chromatography find applications in many domains such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, foods & beverages, petroleum, environmental samples, polymers and forensic Science among other applications. In pharmaceutical applications, gas chromatography is used to separate residual solvents in intermediate as well as finished products and to eliminate volatile impurities and related substances. In food and beverage industry, gas chromatography is used to separate residual pesticides and herbicides and other harmful components. These systems have wide applications in examination for food adulterations and in analysis of flavors and fragrances. In environmental analysis, gas chromatography is used for stack emission and ambient air monitoring and in analyzing volatile components present in waste water. The system also assists in examining residual pesticides present in vegetables, fruits, agricultural produce, soil and drinking water. In petroleum industry, gas chromatography has crucial applications in analysis of compressed natural gas, liquid petroleum gas (LPG), light naphtha, petroleum ether and gases in lubricating oil.
Some of the key factors driving the global gas chromatography market are increasing production of crude oil, growing emphasis on treatment of waste water, rising focus on reducing global pollution levels and increasing concerns related to food safety. Moreover, with rising acceptance of gas chromatography by the pharmaceutical industries in order to comply with different government regulations regarding product safety, the market will witness favorable growth during coming years. An increasing trend of using micro gas chromatography systems by industries will further contribute to the market growth over coming few years. Such small instruments save space and in turn the high cost of investment. These systems require low volumes of samples and they result in shorter delays for achieving results. However dearth of skilled professional to operate the sophisticated instruments and high costs of gas chromatography related instruments can hinder the market growth over coming few years.
The key players in the gas chromatography market focus on expanding their existing product lines to gain a competitive advantage in the long run. Some of the major players operating in the gas chromatography market are Agilent Technologies, Inc., Shimadzu Corporation, Phenomenex Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific, W. R. Grace & Co., Metrohm AG, Novasep and Tosoh Finechem Corporation.
Gas Chromatography Market Segmentation
- Accessories & Consumables
- Column Accessories
- Gas Generators
- Fittings and Tubing
- Autosampler Accessories
- Pressure Regulators
- Other Accessories
- Fraction Collectors
- Oil & Gas Industry
- Food & Beverage Industry
- Environmental Agencies
- Academic & Government Research Institutes
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Cosmetics Industry
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country