A cell culture is a system by which cells are grown under laboratory controlled conditions generally outside their natural environment. Cell culture varies from one type to another depending on type of cell, medium used to grow cells and physico-chemical environment used for rapid proliferation and growth of the cells. Cell cultures are inseparable tool that is used for wide range of application ranging from basic analysis of cells to in vitro oncological studies. 2D Cell cultures are one of the most commonly used cell cultures for in vitro cell studies. These cell cultures are being used since 1900s. 2D cell culture systems are grown on flat Petri dishes made up of plastic. These cells are then placed on coated surface where they are anchored and spread. Besides using Petri dishes, scientists have been growing 2D cells on biologically derived support such as collagen or fibers and more recently hydrogels such as polyacrylamide gel. These cell culture systems are widely used in in vitro research owing to number of reasons such as well-established cell lines, less expensive and can be cultured in large quantity and easier observation of cell development as compared to other types of cell culture systems.
2D cell cultures play significant role in wide range of in vitro biological research ranging from drug discovery to toxicology studies to large scale manufacturing of vaccines. 2D cell cultures are used in number of applications such as stem cell self-renewal, cancer cell phenotype and mechanosensing. Stem cells are undifferentiated cells which have ability to differentiate into specialized cells when grown on specific medium. Stem cell is derived from multicellular organisms either through embryonic stem cells or through adults’ cells. Stem cells play important role in modeling of diseases and organ development. 2D cell cultures are widely used to induce artificial proliferation in cells by use of enzymes for understanding disease pattern as well as to discover potential drug for treatment of various diseases.
Advancements in genetic engineering and recombinant DNA technology have increased demand for utilization of cell cultures for healthcare research .Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer, leading to increased demand for advanced therapeutic drugs, increasing research and development activities especially in pharmaceutical and biotech sectors and growing application of 2D cell culture systems will drive growth of the global market. According to American Cancer society, in 2016 around 57,740 new cases of cancer occurred among Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders. Such a high prevalence will increase demand for large scale production of therapeutics drugs leading to increased use of 2D cell culture system for drug development. Furthermore, increasing demand for artificial organ development and transplantation will propel growth of the market. However advancements in cell culture systems and lack of skilled professionals will hamper growth of the market.
Some of the major players operating in global 2D cell culture market include Becton Dickinson, Corning, Greiner Bio-One International Ag, Merck Millipore, Sigma-Aldrich, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Biomedtech Laboratories, Bio-Techne, Cedarlane Laboratories and GE Life Sciences. These players are focusing on enhancing cell culture techniques for precise delivery of outcomes.
It is expected that with further development of optimized cell, assay methods will act as catalyst for the growth of global 2D cell culture system markets. Increasing prevalence of cancer leading to increasing demand for drug designing and development, rise in demand for stem cell treatment to prevent disease will provide number of opportunities for players operating in global market. Furthermore increased adoption of embryonic stem cells for treating number of diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson disease and to replace virtually any tissue or organ that has been damaged or diseased.
2D Cell Culture Market Segmentation:
- Stem Cell Research
- Comparative Genome Sequencing
- Bio production
- Food Application
- Environment Testing and Toxicology
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country