Chromatography is a technique used for separation of substances into their components based on their molecular composition and structure. The process involves a stationary phase and a mobile phase. A small volume of liquid is placed into a tube packed with porous particles (representing the stationary phase). The liquid flows downwards (representing the mobile phase) through the solid particles where the components of the sample are separated due to various chemical or physical reactions between the component molecules and the packaging particles. The separated components are collected at the exit of the tube. The components that exhibit stronger interactions with stationary phase flow slowly as compared to those who show a weaker interaction. High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is advancement in column chromatography wherein instead of the sample being made to drip under gravity, it is forced under high pressure exerted by a pump. The pump forced the liquid at a specific flow rate which is expressed in milliliters per minute (mL/min). Usually the normal flow rates in HPLC processes are between 1 to 2 mL/min.
HPLC is best suited for the separation of biological and chemical compounds which are non-volatile such as salts including potassium phosphate and sodium chloride, pharmaceutical compounds such as ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen, protein compounds including blood protein or egg white, organic chemicals like polymers including polyethylene and polystyrene among other types of chemical and biological compounds. Some of the key applications of HPLC are qualitative analysis for identifying individual compounds present in a particular sample, quantitative analysis to determine the amount of a compound present in a particular sample, for preparation of pure compounds and for determination of trace compounds in trace analysis. For quantitative analysis of a compound, the peak height of the compound is measured. Usually, there exists a linear relationship between the peak height or area and the amount of the compound. Pure compounds are prepared by collecting chromatographic peak at the end of the tube and further concentrating the compound by evaporating the solvent. In trace analysis, a trace compound is the one whose concentration is very low normally below 1% by weight. Determination of a trace compound is often critical in biological, pharmaceutical, environmental and toxicological studies as even a trace substance can be poisonous. Hence, such studies involve crucial application of HPLC.
Some of the key drivers of the HPLC market are high accuracy and sensitivity of HPLC techniques, increasing applications of HPLC in drug approvals and increasing spending on life sciences research by the players in the market. Due to the increasing demand for HPLC systems in diagnostic, pharmaceutical and life sciences industries, manufacturers are emphasizing on developing advanced solutions which will assist researchers in high quality analysis. However, the high costs of HPLC systems can hinder the market growth in coming years.
The key players in HPLC market focus on product development to enable advanced research and analysis and in turn enhance the value proposition of their products compared to those manufactured by their competitors. For instance, in September 2016, ChromaCon AG, a Swiss life science tool company, launched the Contichrom HPLC which is capable of executing two step batch chromatography and continuous chromatography. Some of the major players operating in the HPLC market are Agilent Technologies, Inc., GE Healthcare, Gilson, Inc., Phenomenex Inc., JASCO Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific and Shimadzu Corporation.
High Performance Liquid Chromatography Market Segmentation
- Fraction collectors
- Reverse-phase HPLC Columns
- Ion exchange HPLC Columns
- Normal-phase/Hydrophobic Interaction HPLC Columns
- Other Columns
- Clinical Research
- Other Applications
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country