Small bore connectors are used to connect a variety of medical devices, including enteral and non-enteral applications. Enteral systems are those systems in which drugs are delivered through gastrointestinal tract whereas in non-enteral systems drugs are delivered either orally or intravenously. Devices such as tubing, syringes and other accessories are connected to medical devices through small bore connectors for delivery of fluids or gases for patient care. Small bores have small diameter of usually less than 8.5 millimetre of the connector. Two ISO standards ISO 80369-1:2010 and ISO 80369-20:2015 gives recommendations for small bore connectors. For instance, ISO 80369-20:2015 gives guidelines for liquid and gases use in healthcare applications. FDA currently recognizes this standard for small bore connectors. Luer connectors are classic type of small bore connector which is widely used in healthcare setting. However new and safer non-Luer connectors are being introduced to minimize or eliminate risk of wrong route errors while administrating fluids or gases either through enteral or non-enteral routes.
Some examples of medical devices that use small bore connectors include blood pressure cuffs, intravascular devices, breathing or respiratory systems and neuraxial devices. One of the major applications of small bore connectors is used in enteral devices for delivering nutrients or medicine to the stomach to those patients who are unable to eat or require additional nutrients through feeding tube that is inserted into patient’s abdomen. Limb tourniquet cuffs are connectors that are used to stop bleeding after surgical procedures by applying pressure to radial artery.
Increasing implementation of new ISO standards for manufacturing of medical connectors and unmet medical needs of people coupled with increasing patient awareness about benefits of connectors is expected to drive the growth of the global market. Furthermore, continuous effort of FDA to promote and encourage manufacturers to design new medical connectors for enteral devices will propel growth of the market. However, increasing incidences of tubing misconnections coupled with human factor errors in administrating drugs or fluids will hamper growth of the global market.
Some of the major players operating in the global market are Hopf A. Kunststoffverarbeitung GmbH, Elcam Medical, and Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC (now Merck). These players are focusing on expanding their product portfolio through product development adhering to international standards to acquire quick FDA approval as well to larger market share. For instance from 2015 A. Hopf GmbH, a German injection maker has issued new designed enteral connectors to prevent Luer standard misconnections. In addition, A. Hopf GmbH has developed new confusion protection taps and Y-connectors for enteral applications.
Introduction of new non-standardised small bore (non-Luer) connectors to prevent risk of misconnection and increasing FDA efforts for designing safe medical connectors by collaborating with international organizations will drive growth of the market in coming years. Furthermore, increased demand for BPA-free connectors will drive the growth of the market. With introduction of new international standards such as ISO 803369 is a step for saving lives by preventing tubing misconnections. Such introduction of international standards will provide lucrative growth opportunities for manufacturers by introducing new and advanced products in developed as well as emerging markets thereby acquiring larger market share.
The Global Small Bore Connectors Market Segmentation:
- Gas Bore Connectors
- Liquid Bore Connectors
By End User
- Ambulatory Surgical Centres
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country