In most of the pharmaceutical filtration systems, the prime objective is to adequately remove objectionable particles (organisms) to a stipulated level. The second critical objective is to achieve maximum throughput quantity before filtration gets terminated due to pore blockage. Filtration is used in different applications in the pharmaceutical industry. The basic function of a filtration system is to separate particles and fluids present in a suspension which may involve a gas, a liquid or a supercritical fluid. Filtration plays an important role in chemistry for separating materials made up of distinct chemical compositions.
Based on the mechanism used for filtration, it can be broadly classified into surface filtration and depth filtration. Surface filtration employs a screening mechanism in which holes or pores of the medium prevent the passage of solid particles. Filters such as cellulose membrane filters can be used for such filtration. In depth filtration systems, particulate matter is not retained at the surface, but also at the inside of the filter. Such systems are extensively utilized for clarification. Filters such as cross flow filtration systems, sintered filters and ceramic filters are used in such processes.
Regulatory bodies play an important role in overseeing and supervising the proper implementation of the practices that are necessary for effective and safe processing of drug development cycles. In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration, (FDA) governs these processes. Also, a non-profit agency called the United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) sets the standards for drugs with emphasis on efficiency and safety. The FDA promotes the current good manufacturing practices, (cGMP) in order to effectively control and identify key steps in pharmaceutical processing. Because of the GMPs, the functioning of equipment components and the associated assemblages can be validated with respect to the required standards.
The key factors driving the global pharmaceutical filtration market are technological advancements in filtration systems, increasing expenditure on research and development by bio-pharmaceutical companies and rise in the production of generics and biologics. Moreover, significant increase in the manufacture of vaccines to mitigate frequent outbreak of chronic disorders is also expected to fuel the growth of pharmaceutical filtration market during the forecast period. However, large capital requirement for pharmaceutical filtration systems can hamper the growth of the market in coming years.
The key players operating in the global pharmaceutical filtration market focus on expanding their existing product portfolio by introducing advanced filtration solutions in order to secure a larger share of the market. Some of the key players in this market are, Merck KGaA, Pall Corporation, General Electric Company, Parker Corporation, Sartorius Stedim Biotech SA, Eaton Corporation, Pall Corporation (a part of Danaher Corporation), Graver Technologies, LLC, Amazon Filters Ltd, Meissner Filtration Products, Inc., 3M Company, Filtration Group Corporation and Porvair Filtration Group Ltd.
Pharmaceutical Filtration Market Segmentation:
- Coated Cellulose Acetate Membrane Filters
- Nylon Membrane Filters
- MCE Membrane Filters
- PTFE Membrane Filters
- PVDF Membrane Filters
- Other Membrane Filters
- Single-use Systems
- Prefilters and Depth Media Filters
- PTFE Fiber Filters
- Glass Fiber Filters
- Cartridge & Capsule Filters
- Single-use Systems
- Filtration Accessories
- Filter Holders
- Other Products
- Media & Buffer Filtration
- Bioburden Testing
- Sterile Filtration
- API Filtration
- Vaccine and Antibody Processing
- Protein Purification
- Viral Clearance
- Formulation and Filling Solution Filtration
- Water Purification
- Air Purification
- Cell Separation
By Scale of Operation:
- Pilot Scale
- R&D Scale
- Manufacturing Scale
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country