Orthobiologics helps to heal injured muscles, fractures, tendons and ligaments more quickly. These are made up of naturally occurring body substances such as autologous conditioned serum, autologous blood, bone grafts, stem cells, platelet rich plasma, and growth factors. Therefore, these are commercially available for orthopedic applications such as joint reconstruction, spinal fusion, and sports related injuries.
Rise in number of orthopedic surgeries, rapidly aging population, increasing in adoption of advanced products, and growing demand for minimal invasive procedures are set to drive the global market for orthobiologics. As per the report published by American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, in U.S., around 500,000 bone grafting surgeries are performed every year. Of these, almost half of the surgeries are related to spinal fusion. These large number of procedures lead to rise in demand for musculoskeletal tissue donation and a shortage of cadaver material.
Additionally, increased availability of products with high osteoinductive and osteoconductive properties will further contribute to the market growth. An osteoinductive protein provides biophysical stimulation which helps to repair and regenerate bone fractures. Moreover, the high demand for orthobiologics in orthopedic industry coupled with rise in adoption of orthobiologics in different orthopedic applications such as joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, and spinal fusion.
Development of novel products related to bone healing has changed the field of orthopedic treatment. Therefore, major players are highly focused on developing and commercializing technologically advanced products. For instance, in September 2015, Wright Medical Group Inc. obtained premarket approval for its Augment bone graft from FDA. This graft can be used in ankle or hindfoot fusion procedures. Similarly, in November 2015, CeraPedics, an orthobiologics company, obtained Premarket Approval (PMA) application for its “i-FACTOR Peptide Enhanced Bone Graft”. This graft can be used for the treatment of degenerative cervical disc related disorders. Thus, introduction of technologically advanced products is set to propel the market growth.
Major players operating in this market are Medtronic plc, Stryker Corporation, Bone Biologics Corp., Orthofix, Inc., Arthrex, Inc., Isto Biologics, Bioventus, NuVasive, Inc., Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., and RTI Surgical, Inc. These companies are highly focused on expanding their geographical presence through establishing strong distribution channels and direct sales network.
Orthobiologics Market Segmentation:
- Synthetic Bone Substitutes
- Demineralized Bone Matrix (DBM)
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP)
- Trauma Repair
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
By End User:
- Orthopedic Clinics
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country