Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) is a surgical procedure used to restore normal functioning of blood vessels by reinforcing normal blood flow to damaged artery. Coronary arteries supply blood and oxygen to heart muscles. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery is used to treat coronary heart disease which is characterized by formation of plaque which narrow downs or completely blocks blood from passing through arteries. If left untreated, it can result in serious complications such as heart failure, heart attacks and arrhythmia. According to report published by American Heart Association in 2017, around 92.1 million American adults are living with some or other type of cardiovascular disease. The estimated number of new heart attacks in the U.S. is 580,000 with 210,000 incidences of recurrent attacks. Smoking, high cholesterol level, high blood glucose level and blood vessel inflammation are some of factors responsible for damaging inner layer of coronary artery leading to coronary heart disease.
Coronary heart disease (CHD) can be treated with medicines, surgeries and cardiac rehabilitation. Medicines including cholesterol modifying drugs, nitroglycerin and angiotensin receptor blockers are used to improve blood flow through reducing clot. CABG is a most common type of heart surgery performed to treat severe conditions of CHD. CABG is performed by either deviating internal thoracic artery to the left anterior of the left coronary artery or by threading saphenous vein from leg to aorta and obstructed artery to restore normal blood flow. However, with advancements in CABG, it is now possible to perform surgery without stopping the heart. CABG can provide relief from angina by improving blood flow with stents.
Increasing geriatric population with high risk of developing cardiovascular disorders such as coronary artery disease, and myocardial infarction and availability of technologically advanced products such as Minimally Invasive Direct Coronary Artery Bypass (MIDCAB) and Anastomosis Assist Devices (AAD) is expected to drive the growth of the market. According to a study conducted by American Heart Association in 2017, around 92.1 million American adults are living with some or other type of cardiovascular condition. Such high prevalence of cardiovascular disorders will surge demand for CABG. However, unfavorable reimbursement policies, high cost of surgeries and stringent approval process for treating coronary heart disease is expected to slow down growth of the market.
Some of the players operating in this industry include Medtronic plc., Sorin Group, MAQUET Holding B.V. & Co. KG., Vitalitec International Inc., Novadaq Technologies Inc., KARL STORZ GmbH & Co. KG, and Genesee Biomedical Inc. New product launch, mergers and acquisitions are some of the strategies adopted by players to expand their product portfolio and to gain competitive edge over other players in the market. For instance in October 2016, KARL STORZ had launched new endoscopic NIR fluorescence imaging system to enhance minimal invasive surgery techniques as well as to enhance visual assessment of heart vessels for better surgical assistance.
Robotic assisted heart surgery is latest advancement trying to move open heart surgeries towards category of minimal invasive surgery. During robotic assisted CABG, an endoscope is passed through tiny incision made in heart and can manipulate instruments via computer console similarly to gamepad. Such development of advance technologies will provide lucrative growth opportunities for players to adopt these technologies and expand their product portfolio thereby acquiring larger market share. Furthermore, emerging markets such as India and China with increasing incidence of cardiovascular diseases and rise in disposable income of the people coupled with higher life expectancy will provide ample opportunities for business in these regions.
The Global Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Market Segmentation:
- Internal Thoracic Artery Grafts
- Saphenous Vein Grafts
- Other Grafts
- Gastroepiploic Artery
- Radial Artery
By Surgical Procedure
- Single CABG Surgery
- Double CABG Surgery
- Triple CABG Surgery
- Quadruple CABG Surgery
- Off-Pump CABG
- On-Pump CABG
- Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting
- Conventional Vessel Harvesting
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country