Capsule endoscopy is a minimal invasive procedure in which a tiny camera is used to capture images of patient’s digestive tract. It is a shape and size of a pill containing a tiny camera. The Capsule capture pictures of the digestive tract once the patient swallows it. It provides high resolution images which cannot be taken by any other endoscopy. Capsule endoscopy has witnessed significant technological advancements (such as image resolution, battery life, and miniaturization of the device) since its introduction to the market.
The capsule endoscopy market is projected to witness robust growth during the forecast period, primarily due to growing prevalence of gastrointestinal (GI) tract diseases, rapidly aging population, growing popularity of minimally invasive procedures, and technological advancements. Moreover, high preference for capsule endoscopy for GI procedures due to its minimal invasive nature will further contribute to the market growth.
The rapidly aging population is set to drive the demand for capsule endoscopes as this group is more susceptible to GI diseases. As per Health Guidance for Better Health, almost 34 million people are affected with digestive tract diseases in the U.S., of which 20 million Americans have chronic condition. It further states that around 8% of the total population in the U.S. suffers from chronic digestive tract disorders, 6% from acute disorders, and 43% from intermittent GI disorders. Moreover, the growing elderly population will further contribute to the market growth. For instance, the number of older people is projected to reach 2 billion in 2050 from 841 million people in 2013 (Source: United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs). Thus, the rapidly aging population will accelerate the demand for capsule endoscopy in near future. Such high target population will bring in ample growth opportunities for the key players to develop technologically advanced products.
In addition to this, the rising prevalence of colon cancer will further stimulate the market growth. For instance, in 2012, the estimated number of colon cancer cases was 1.4 million and this number is expected to reach 2.4 million by 2035. Therefore, a large patient pool of colon cancer will be in need of adequate diagnostic and monitoring devices such as capsule endoscopes.
Major players operating in this market are IntroMedic Co. Ltd., Olympus Corporation, SynMed Limited, CapsoVision Inc., Fujifilm Holding Corporation, and Given Imaging Ltd. These companies are highly focused on introduction of new capsule endoscopes with innovative techniques and advanced features to meet the unmet medical needs. Thus, innovation will derive the demand for capsule endoscopes globally.
Capsule Endoscopy Market Segmentation:
- Workstations and Recorders
- Capsule Endoscopes
- Colonic Diseases
- Esophageal Diseases
- Small Bowel Diseases
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country