Biologics or biological products are substances comprising of sugars, nucleic acids, proteins or complex combinations of these materials as well as living entities such as tissues and cells. Compared to conventional chemical drugs, biologics are relatively complex molecules. Biologics are derived from different natural sources such as animals, humans or microorganisms and usually consist of blood components, allergenics, tissues, somatic cells along with recombinant therapeutic proteins. Commonly known biologics are enbrel, remicade, avonex, humira, betaseron and Herceptin to name a few.
Biologics have revolutionized the treatment of chronic disorders such as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, multiple sclerosis and Crohn’s disease along with a variety of cancers. Like drugs, biologics are used to cure or treat medical conditions and diseases, prevent diseases or to diagnose diseases. Some of the biologics and their approved uses include: Botox for neurologic or dermatologic uses, Herceptin for a certain kind of breast cancer and a variety of vaccines such as flu vaccines. In the past decade, there have been major advancements in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, especially for those patients who do not respond adequately to traditional disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs. One of the critical advancements is development of biologics. There are numerous approved biologics for treating rheumatoid arthritis such as etanercept (enbrel), abatacept (orencia), adalimumab (humira), anakinra (kineret), rituximab (rituxan) among other useful biologics. The key difference between biologics and traditional drugs for treating rheumatoid arthritis is that biologics target specific immune system components instead of broadly targeting many areas of the immune system.
For treatment of cancer, monoclonal antibodies or MAbs are used to stimulate immune response that can destroy cancer cells. MAbs coat the surface of the cancer cell further triggering its destruction by the immune system. Cytokines are signaling proteins which are produced by the white blood cells. These proteins help in regulating immune response and new blood cell formation. Types of cytokines used for treating cancer patients include interleukins (ILs) and interferons (INFs).
Some of the key factors responsible for the growth of global biologics market are increasing acceptance of biopharmaceuticals as compared to chemically synthesized molecules, technological advancements and rising expenditure on biopharmaceutical research by the industry and rising prevalence of chronic disorders such as cancer, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis. Advent of targeted therapies along with increasing focus on patient centric, personalized medicine will largely contribute the growth of biologics market in coming years. However, factors such as highly complex process of manufacturing biologics and stringent regulatory approval procedures can hamper the growth of global biologics market.
The major players operating in the biologics market focus on developing advanced therapies as well as on securing clearances and approvals to introduce their products and secure a larger share of the market. Also these players emphasize on strategic collaborations and acquisitions to expand their presence in different geographical markets. For instance, in May 2017, ADMA Biologics, Inc., announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire certain therapy and manufacturing related assets of Biotest Pharmaceuticals Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Biotest AG. Some of the major players in the global biologics market are F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Celltrion Inc., Pfizer Inc., Samsung BioLogics Co., Ltd., Amgen Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, AbbVie Inc., Sanofi, Merck & Co., Inc. and Addgene, Inc.
Biologics Market Segmentation
- Allergenic extracts
- Blood and Blood Products
- Human Cells and Tissues
- Cellular Therapies
- Xenotransplantation Products
- Gene Therapies
- Rheumatoid arthritis
By Source Material:
- Avian Cell Culture
- Insects Cell Culture
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country