Extremity Reconstruction Devices Market Size is Projected To be Around $4 Billion By 2025
Publish Date :
Request for Customization
A research study titled, Extremity Reconstruction Devices Market by Product and Biomaterial - Global Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025” published by Crystal Market Research, states that the extremity reconstruction devices market is projected to be around $4 billion by 2025.
The extremity reconstruction products are implantable devices for wrist, elbow, shoulder, ankle, and foot. The musculoskeletal system of human beings is composed of muscles, bones, and joints. These bones are attached to each other at a joint, with the help of tendons and ligaments, to facilitate body movements. However, the cartilage starts deteriorating due to normal wear and tear with the passing years, which leads to many joint problems. The most common type of joint disorder is arthritis, which affects hands, knees, hips, and spine. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is the second most common of type of chronic condition, which leads to cartilage damage. Moreover, its prevalence increases with the age and it is projected to occur in almost 2.2% of the population aged more than 55 years.
The global population is aging rapidly. Almost every country is experiencing growth in the number and proportion of older people in their population. For instance, the global share of older people increased from 9.2% in 1990 to 11.7% in 2013 and will reach 21.1% by 2050. Moreover, the number of older people is projected to reach 2 billion in 2050 from 841 million people in 2013 (Source: United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs). Elderly people are more susceptible to joint disorders such as arthritis. Arthritis is one of the most common joint disorders in persons aged 65 years and above. According to a study conducted by Arthritis Foundation, currently more than 50 million adult Americans have arthritis and this number is expected to increase to 67 million by 2030 whereas around 300,000 children have arthritis or some other form of rheumatic diseases.
The global extremities market is projected to witness tremendous growth during the forecast period. This high growth can be attributed to a number factors such as rise in number of joint disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, increase in number of lifestyle related problems (such as diabetes and obesity) leading to joint disorders, growing elderly population, increased adoption of advanced products (such as reverse shoulder), and growing demand for minimal invasive procedures. Moreover, increased awareness about advanced treatment options coupled with rise in need for increasing standard of living and quality of life will further stimulate the market growth. However, stringent approval process and high cost of extremity reconstruction procedures coupled with complications related to these surgeries will hamper the market growth during the forecast period.
Upper extremity reconstruction segment held a major share of global extremity reconstruction devices market in 2016 due to rising incidence of small joint related disorders in upper extremities such shoulders and wrists. The ankle reconstruction devices sub-segment in lower extremity reconstruction market is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period owing to rising incidence of ankle arthritis and recent developments in minimally invasive ankle reconstruction solutions. With respect to biomaterials, metallic biomaterials segment held a major share of the global extremity reconstruction devices market in 2016 owing to excellent mechanical support delivered by metallic biomaterials which ensures long-term implant performance.
Some of the key players operating in the global extremity reconstruction devices market are, Cardinal Health, Inc., Bioretec Ltd., CONMED Corporation, Advanced Orthopeadic Solutions, Skeletal Dynamics LLC, Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation, Acumed LLC, Arthrex, Inc., Wright Medical Group N.V., Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc., DePuyOrthopaedics, Inc. (a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.), Stryker Corporation and Smith & Nephew PLC.
Browse full research report with TOC on “Extremity Reconstruction Devices Market by Type and Biomaterial - Global Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025” at:
Key Findings of the Research Study:
- Shoulder reconstruction segment held a major share of the global extremity reconstruction devices market in 2016 and is expected to grow with high single-digit CAGR over the forecast period.
- Within the shoulder reconstruction segment, stem less total shoulder replacement sub-segment is expected to rapidly grow throughout the forecast period with double-digit CAGR.
- Metallic biomaterials segment held a major share of the global extremity reconstruction devices market with respect to biomaterials in 2016 owing to the increased implant durability and performance delivered by metallic biomaterials.
- North America dominated the global extremity reconstruction devices market in 2016 with the U.S. accounting for a major market share due to advancements in extremity reconstruction technology in the region along with rising inclination towards leading an active lifestyle supported by high disposable income.
- Asia-Pacific extremity reconstruction devices market is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period owing to increasing awareness related to benefits of joint reconstruction procedures among the people in emerging nations such as India and China.