Sacral Nerve Stimulation (SNS) is an electrical stimulation therapy for the treatment of bladder control and bowel control symptoms. A programmable stimulator is implanted subcutaneously to deliver electrical stimulation through a lead to the sacral nerve. This is a clinically proven treatment for overactive bladder (OAB) patients which significantly improve quality of life as compared to patients on therapeutics.
OAB is one of the most common condition affecting millions of people worldwide. Sudden urge to urinate is the most common symptom of OAB. This urge is difficult to stop and hence leads to involuntary leaking of urine (known as incontinence). OAB affects 85 million adults in Europe and the U.S. and 40 million people are suffering from fecal incontinence. Over the past two decades, this therapy has been widely adopted in the U.S. and Europe for the treatment of OAB, primarily due to availability of favorable reimbursement.
Rise in prevalence of OAB symptoms coupled with rapidly aging population, increased research and development (R&D) efforts by SNS manufacturers, and technological advancements in SNS systems are set to boost the adoption of SNS systems. However, side-effects associated with SNS systems will hinder the market growth. But, the development of O-arm guided navigation systems, and antibacterial and bioabsorbable technology are the current industry trends, which will bring in huge growth opportunities for the manufacturers.
Moreover, innovation is set to derive the demand for sacral neuromodulation systems globally. Therefore, major players emphasize on new product development in order to gain competitive advantage. For instance, in January 2017, Axonics Modulation Technologies, Inc. obtained approval from Health Canada for its rechargeable Sacral Neuromodulation (r-SNM) System, which is designed for the treatment of overactive bladder, urinary retention, and fecal incontinence. Likewise, in February 2017, Nuvectra Corporation filed regulatory submissions for CE mark and FDA approvals for its Virtis Sacral Nerve Stimulation System. This system can be used to treat overactive bladder and chronic urinary retention. Thus, development of such innovative SNS systems to meet the unmet medical needs will further contribute to the market growth.
Additionally, increased research and development (R&D) efforts is one of the key drivers for the growth of this market. In line with this strategy, major companies are raising finances for conducting studies on SNS systems. For instance, in May 2017, Axonics Modulation Technologies, Inc. obtained $14.5 million for a pivotal study of its neuromodulation system in overactive bladder patients. Further, it aims to raise $30 million to kick off its U.S. pivotal study, which is expected to be conducted in Europe and the U.S. Prior to this, the company has received $38.5 million for its SNS system.
Some of the major players operating in this market are Axonics Modulation Technologies, Inc, Medtronic plc, and Nuvectra Corporation. Medtronic has monopoly in the global SNS Market. The company has strong product portfolio of both external and implantable SNS devices. It offered innovative treatments to around 225,000 patients globally through its InterStim system.
Sacral Nerve Stimulation Market Segmentation:
- External SNS Devices
- Implantable SNS Devices
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country