Increasing incidence of chronic diseases has prompted the need for development and adoption of IT solutions to improve the healthcare quality and reduce the burden on healthcare facilities resulting from increasing number of patients. According to the Public Health Informatics Institute’s June 2016 report, approximately 1 in every 6 American dollars spent on healthcare, is spent on cardiovascular diseases (CVD). The report further states that by 2030, around 40% of the U.S. population will have at least one form of CVD. With such high incidence of chronic diseases such as CVDs, the direct and indirect expenses incurred for treating them can exert a staggering economic burden on the patient community. Population health management systems can efficiently assist in reducing this burden and aid in improving clinical efficiency.
In general terms, population health management (PHM), can be defined as the discipline of managing the financial and clinical risk of a defined group of individuals. In a clinical setting, PHM usually refers to the health of patients belonging to a particular health plan or a particular healthcare provider. In case of public health agencies, PHM can refer to the health of all the inhabitants in the area of their jurisdiction.
The global population health management market is largely driven by factors such as technological advancements in the healthcare IT sector, favorable government initiatives for adoption of IT enabled systems in healthcare industry, rising need for improving quality of healthcare and increasing demand to reduce the cost of healthcare. With the implementation of legislations such as the affordable Care Act (ACA) in the U.S., there has been significant increase in the adoption of HCIT solutions by the healthcare fraternity. All these factors are expected to favorably contribute to the growth of the global population health management market during the forecast period. However, factors such as dearth of trained and skilled professionals as well as concerns related to the security of data stored and transferred through such systems, can hinder the market growth during the forecast period.
The key players operating in the global patient health management market focus on product development and strategic acquisitions in order to strengthen their product portfolio and expand their presence in the global market. For instance, in June 2017, Siemens Healthineers (the healthcare division of Siemens AG), completed the acquisition of San Francisco based Medicalis Corporation in order to strengthen its portfolio of population health management solutions. With the incorporation of solutions from Medicalis Corporation in its portfolio, Siemens intended to assist healthcare providers to effectively meet the challenges in bridging the gap between population health systems at department level and at the health system level. Similarly in August 2016, NextGen Healthcare Information Systems, LLC, a subsidiary of Quality Systems, Inc., completed the acquisition of EagleDream Health Inc., a big data, cloud-based healthcare analytics, software and Services Company based in Rochester, NY. The acquisition was intended towards achieving NextGen’s goal of becoming a complete value-based care solution platform.
Some of the key players operating in this market are, Cerner Corporation, Allscripts Healthcare, LLC, McKesson Corporation, Optum, Inc, Healthagen Outcomes, Epic Systems Corporation, International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), Health Catalyst, Conifer Health Solutions, LLC., i2i Population Health, Koninklijke Philips N.V., 3M Company and Verscend Technologies, Inc.
Population Health Management Market Segmentation:
By Delivery Mode:
By End User:
- Healthcare Payers
- Employer Groups
- Healthcare Providers
- Government Bodies
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country