Orthopedic braces and supports are medical systems designed to address issues related to musculoskeletal. These are used to protect, support, stabilize, and correct the position of certain body parts. These are predominantly used during the rehabilitation and recovery process. There are two types of braces, namely, upper and lower limb, depending upon its application. Upper limb braces are used for the recovery of injuries related to collarbones, elbows, wrists, fingers, shoulders, and arms; while the lower limb braces are fitted over the ankles, feet, legs, and knees. These devices allow recovering mobility and function of the injured body part.
Rise in number of joint disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, and increasing geriatric population, growing number of lifestyle related disorders that leads to joint disorders, and development of technologically advanced orthopedic braces & support systems will drive the global orthopedic braces and supports market. Moreover, growing awareness about advanced orthopedic braces & support systems coupled with rise in need for improving standard of living and quality of life will further stimulate the market growth. However, availability of alternative treatment options and non-availability of customization options for over the counter (OTC) orthopedic braces and systems will restrain the market growth. Conversely, rise in orthopedic outsourcing, growing popularity of minimal invasive surgeries, and development of user-friendly products are the current industry trends which will further drive the market growth.
The global population is aging rapidly. Almost every country is experiencing growth in the number and proportion of older people in their population. As per the data revealed by United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the global share of older people increased from 9.2% in 1990 to 11.7% in 2013 and will reach 21.1% by 2050. Further, it states that the number of older people is projected to reach 2 billion in 2050 from 841 million people in 2013. Such high prevalence of elderly people will further stimulate the demand for orthopedic braces and support systems.
Elderly people are more prone to joint disorders such as arthritis. Arthritis is one of the most common joint disorders in persons aged 65 years and above. According to a study conducted by Arthritis Foundation, currently more than 50 million adult Americans have arthritis and this number is expected to increase to 67 million by 2030 whereas around 300,000 children have arthritis or some other form of rheumatic diseases. The risk of arthritis is more prevalent in women than men. Thus, the rapidly aging population will accelerate the demand for orthopedic braces & supports in near future. Such high target population will bring in ample growth opportunities for the key players to develop technologically advanced products.
In addition to this, the rising number of surgical procedures conducted for the treatment of these joint disorders is set to propel the market growth. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates, in the U.S., almost 65,000 shoulder replacement surgeries were performed in 2012. Moreover, the National Institute of Health states that there has been an increase of 393% in the number of surgeries performed related to total shoulder arthroplasty from 2001 to 2010. Thus, these large numbers of procedures will be in need of orthopedic braces and support systems after the surgery for the recovery.
Moreover, increased focus of key players on the development of innovative orthopedic braces and support systems to meet the unmet medical needs will further propel the market growth. For instance, in March 2016, BSN Medical exhibited a new line of Actimove orthopedic braces for osteoarthritis of the thumb, at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2016 Annual Meeting. This product development helped the company to strengthen its product portfolio to sustain its position in the market.
Major players operating in this market are Bauerfeind AG, McDavid Knee Guard, Inc., DeRoyal Industries, Inc., Allcare Company Ltd., Breg, Inc., Otto Bock Healthcare GmbH, Össur Corporate, Frank Stubbs Co., Inc. FLA Orthopedics, Inc. and DJO Global, Inc.
Orthopedic Braces & Supports Market Segmentation:
- Upper Extremity Braces & Supports
- Shoulder Supports
- Wrist & Hand Supports
- Spinal Orthoses
- Foot and Ankle Braces & Supports
- Soft Braces
- Hinged Braces
- Knee Braces for Osteoarthritis and Ligament Injuries
- Post-operational Knee Braces
By End User:
- Orthopedic Clinics
- Over the Counter
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country