Medical or hospitals beds are the beds that are regularly maintained at all the hospitals and are immediately available for use by patients admitted in the hospitals. Some of the types of medical beds generally used in healthcare facilities are acute-care beds, long-term care beds, rehabilitative beds and other types of beds. Acute care beds are the beds used in cases where the primary intention is to cure illness, perform therapeutic or diagnostic procedures and to provide definitive treatments to injuries. Rehabilitative beds are those which are used for psychiatric and non-psychiatric rehabilitative care along with accommodating patients, who need improvement or restoration of body structures and functions. Long-term care beds are used to accommodate patients who are admitted in a healthcare facility for a longer period of time. Psychiatric care beds are used to accommodate patients suffering from mental health problems. In addition to these beds, various types of therapeutic beds are used in homecare settings which include manual beds, fully electric beds and semi-electric beds.
Some of the key factors contributing to the growth of the global medical/therapeutic beds market are increasing incidence of chronic disorders across the world, increasing emphasis of development of healthcare infrastructure, rising demand for quality infrastructure by the patient community and increasing geriatric population around the globe requiring long-term care. According to the 2015 World Aging Population report by the UN, between 2015 and 2030, the global population aged 60 years and over is expected to grow by 56% from 901 million to 1.4 billion. This number is projected to rise up to 2.1 billion by 2050. With such significant increase in the population of older adults, the demand for medical/therapeutic beds is bound to increase significantly during the forecast period. However, the high prices of medical beds can affect the market growth to some extent during the forecast period.
The key players operating in the global medical/therapeutic beds market focus on product development to introduce improved medical beds in the market along with strategic collaborations. For instance, in January 2017, Getinge AB, one of the leading providers of innovative solutions for operating rooms and intensive care units, announced the U.S. launch of the Total Lift Bed from VitalGo Systems. The company entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with VitalGo Systems under which its ArjoHuntleigh brand is the exclusive distributor for Total Lift Bed for acute and long-term acute care settings. In another instance, in March 2016, the Kuwait-based YIACO Medical Company partnered with a leading European hospital and nursing beds manufacturer, LINET Group SE under which, YIACO will represent LINET brand in Kuwait for distributing an array of products including hospital and nursing beds along with special mattresses.
Some of the major players operating in this market are, Stryker Corporation, Getinge AB, Hill-Rom Holdings, Medline Industries, Inc., Invacare Corporation, Stiegelmeyer GmbH & Co. KG, LINET spol. s r.o., Malvestio Spa, Span-America Medical Systems, Inc. (acquired by Savaria Corporation), Antano Group, Merivaara Corp, PARAMOUNT BED CO., LTD., Amico Corporation, Famed Żywiec Sp. z o.o. and Janak Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
Medical/Therapeutic Beds Market Segmentation:
- Electric Beds
- Manual Beds
- Semi-electric Beds
- Acute Care Beds
- Long-term Care Beds
- Psychiatric Care Beds
- Other Beds
- Non-intensive Care Beds
- Intensive Care Beds
By End User:
- Elderly Care Facilities
- Home Care Settings
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country