Drug discovery is the process by which a new drug candidate or lead compound is identified and validated for treating specific disease. Drug discovery is long term complex process implying large number of steps right from selecting active ingredient to clinical trials and getting appropriate approvals. The first stage in drug discovery is to understand disease mechanism from cellular as well genetic level, in order to identify potential drug targets. Once disease mechanism is validated, the next step is development of cell assays to measure activity of similar compounds that can affect activity of target disease cell. Many biotech and pharmaceutical companies have small molecule compound libraries which can be used for screening of potential compounds. In-vivo and in-vitro studies or trials are used to understand potential course of action of compound and to ascertain toxicology or possible side effects on human body. Drug discovery involves long term interaction between research institutes, academics, regulatory bodies & industry and marketing agencies for commercializing drug for public health.
Drug discovery is a multidiscipline approach integrating disciplines including genomics, bioinformatics, cell biology and structural biology to name a few. Advancements in genome sequencing have revolutionized drug discovery press. Genome sequencing is analyzing complete DNA structure of organism to understand genetic makeup of organism for accessing underlying cause of various diseases. Genomic technologies such as statistical genetics, gene sequencing and gene sequencing analysis are used in experimental and clinical trials for drug discovery. These genome based technologies aid in drug development by identifying new target sites, providing exclusive information by computer aided design of lead compounds and target validation through disease and predictive toxicology models.
Increasing elderly population with high risk of developing chronic diseases, expiry of leading patents and advancements in the field of biotechnology and molecular biology will drive growth of the global drug discovery technologies market. In addition, increasing resistance of pathogens to traditional drugs will increase demand for advanced therapeutics leading to rapid growth of the market. However, presence of strict approval guidelines, high cost and long duration of drug discovery process will slow down growth of the global market.
Major players operating in the global market include Bayer Healthcare AG, Albany Molecular Research Inc., AstraZeneca plc, Luminex Corporation, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Albany Molecular Research, Thermo Fisher Scientific and Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. Strategic collaborations and partnership are key strategies adopted by market players for expanding their geographical business boundaries and product portfolio. For instance, in February 2017, Albany Molecular Research Inc. has formed strategic alliance with Bruker Daltonics and HighRes Biosolutions to expand their product portfolio by developing new applications for drug discovery through high mass spectrometry. This strategic alliance will accelerate growth of Albany Molecular Research Inc. thereby strengthening global position of the company.
The continuous advancements in technologies such as 3D printing, next generation sequencing, gene therapy, stem cell therapies, and microbiomics will provide ample growth opportunities for market players. Advancements in Bioinformatics are expected to shape the pharmaceutical industry and will enhance drug development technologies for giving high value to healthcare providers as well as patients at low cost. Moreover advancement in technologies and instrument will further accelerate growth of the market players. For instance, Thermo Fisher Scientific in June 2016, had launched ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography (UHPLC) system provides high speed, reliable and sensitive biocompatible analysis for easy identification of pharmaceutical ingredients for drug development and designing.
Global Drug Discovery Technologies Market Segmentation:
- Bio analytical instruments
- High throughput screening
By End User
- Biopharmaceutical companies
- Research institutes
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Biotech companies
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country