A biosensor is an analytical device which is used to detect the analyte and gathers biological components with the help of a physicochemical detector. Biosensors converts biochemical signals into physicochemical signals which help in measuring the sample. A biosensor is made up of two components, namely, a transducer and a biological element such as antibody, enzyme or nucleic acid. The transducer detects and transmits the signals. On the other hand, biological element acts as a sensor. There are four types of biosensors, optical, electrochemical, thermal, and piezoelectric biosensors. Biosensors are used in medical diagnostics, forensic, and drug target discovery. In medical diagnostics they are used to monitor lactose, glucose levels in the body, identification of molecular markers, and measurement of vitamin B12 and folic acid. In diabetic patients, blood glucose levels can be estimated with the help of biosensors. They can also be used to diagnose and identify the pathogen in infectious disease such as urinary tract infection. Biosensors are also used in pharmaceuticals to estimate drug remnants in food and antibiotics. They are used in food industry to identify pathogens, to monitor fermentation products such as yoghurt and beer. They are also used to measure acids, alcohol and carbohydrates. Biosensors can also be used in counter-bioterrorist activities for sensing airborne bacteria. They are also used in monitoring environmental pollution by checking the quality of water and air. They are also used to control industrial effluents and in drug discovery programs. They are also used in detection river water contaminants and pesticides.
The major factor that drives the biosensor market is increase in prevalence of diabetes. According to International Diabetes Federation, in 2015, diabetes affected 415 million people worldwide and this number is expected to reach up to 642 million by 2040. Additionally, increase in the prevalence of geriatric population is also an important factor which will drive this market. According to WHO, in 2015, 900 million people were 60 years of age or older and this number is expected to reach up to 2 billion by 2050. Moreover, technological advancements are also set to drive this market. For instance, in May 2016, Nova Biomedical launched BioProfile FLEX 2 cell culture analyzer. It is an extension of the Bioprofile line of cell culture analyzers which also provides 16 cell culture chemistries. Furthermore, growing need for point of care diagnostics, cardiac pacemakers, blood glucose level will also boost the growth of this market. However, stringent regulatory requirements and complicated reimbursement policies will hamper the growth of biosensors market.
The key strategy followed by the major players in the biosensors market is product launch. For instance, in March 2016, Vital Connect, Inc. launched VitalPatch biosensor. It is a single use biosensor which continuously monitors and records skin temperature, electrocardiogram and heart rate. With the launch VitalPatch biosensor, Vital Connect, Inc. will gain more market share.
The major players in the biosensors market are Siemens Healthcare GmbH, LifeSensors, Inc., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., AgaMatrix, Inc., Abbott Laboratories, and Nova Biomedical.
Biosensors Market Segmentation:
- Optical Biosensors
- Electrochemical Biosensors
- Thermal Biosensors
- Piezoelectric Biosensors
- Infectious Diseases
- Cholesterol Testing
- Drug Discovery
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Pregnancy Testing
- Blood Gas Analyzer
- Industrial Process Control (Bioreactor)
- Food Toxicity Detection
By End User:
- Point of Care Testing
- Security and Bio-Defense
- Home Healthcare Diagnostics
- Research Laboratories
- Food Industry
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country