Arthroscopy is a common surgical procedure in which a joint (arthro) is viewed (scopy) through a small camera. Arthroscopy gives surgeons a clear view of the joint which helps them diagnose the problem. Arthroscopy is performed on different joints such as the knee, wrist, hip, shoulder, and other joints in the human body. Knee arthroscopy is usually performed to address issues such as repair or removal of torn meniscal cartilage, trimming or torn pieces of articular cartilage, reconstruction of torn anterior cartilage ligament, removal of inflamed synovial tissue and removal of loose fragments of bone or cartilage. The procedure is performed through small incisions. The orthopedic surgeon inserts an arthroscope which is a camera based device about the size of a pencil, into the knee joint. The arthroscope sends the image back to a television monitor where the surgeon can see the structure of the knee joint in detail. The surgeon then repairs or removes damaged tissues through small incisions using other surgical instruments such as scissors, lasers or motorized shavers.
Wrist arthroscopy is performed to address common wrist related issues such as ligament tear and triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFFC) damage. The ligaments between the bones and the wrist can sometimes tear. This usually occurs between the scaphoid and lunate bones or the lunate and the triquetrum bones. These tears can result in pain and swelling leading to a loose grip. The bones may pull apart and limit motion in case of a full tear. Hip joints are highly flexible which allow our legs to move freely. A problem related to the hip joint may cause pain and restricted movement of the legs. Hip arthroscopy is performed to restore the normal structure of the hip joint.
The global arthroscopy devices market is driven by key factors such as the increasing prevalence of geriatric population, rise in incidence of sports related injuries, and rise in demand for minimally invasive surgical procedures. Increase in prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis will also significantly contribute to the growth of global arthroscopy devices market. However, factors such as stringent regulatory policies for approval of arthroscopy devices and risk of complications such as instrument failure, infection or excess bleeding in certain cases can hinder the growth of the arthroscopy devices market.
Technological advancements in designing and developing next generation arthroscopic devices and procedures will further spearhead the market evolution and growth over coming years. Advanced anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgeries related to sports injuries are increasingly becoming minimally invasive in nature, which significantly reduces the swelling, pain and recovery time of surgery.
The major players in the arthroscopy devices market focus on product development facilitated by technological advancements to gain competitive advantage over other players. Some of the key players operating in the global arthroscopy devices market are Smith & Nephew Plc., Stryker Corporation, Cortek Endoscopy Inc., CONMED Corporation, Medtronic Plc., Aesculap, Inc., Olympus Corporation, Surgical Innovations, and Arthrex, Inc.
Arthroscopy Devices Market Segmentation:
- Fluid Management Systems
- Arthroscopic Implants
- Hip Implants
- Knee Implants
- Shoulder Implants
- Other Implants
- Visualization Systems
- Radiofrequency Systems
- RF Probes and Wands
- RF Generators
- Powered Shavers
- Other Arthroscopy Equipment
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Spine Arthroscopy
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy
- Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy
- Other Arthroscopy
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country