Preimplantation genetic testing refers to the genetic analysis of a single cell from an eight-cell embryo which is done in conjunction with in vitro fertilization to facilitate a normal pregnancy. It is an evolving technique which offers a practical alternative to prenatal diagnosis for couples who might be at a risk of transmitting a genetic disorder to their offspring. The samples for performing the genetic testing are obtained after in vitro fertilization from cleaving embryos. In order to establish a pregnancy, only those embryos that are free from genetic disorders are made available to be replaced in the uterus.
Preimplantation genetic diagnosis was originally conceived as an alternative to prenatal diagnosis. It was developed to reduce the chances of transmitting severe genetic disorders for couples with a serious reproductive risk. Embryos that are affected by a single gene disorder are usually viable, but subsequently, the children are at a risk of suffering from developmental delay or physical abnormalities.
Preimplantation genetic tests can be used for three distinct modes of genetic disorders. The first group involves single gene disorders. Such disorders can either be X-linked recessive, autosomal recessive or autosomal dominant. In such case, genetic linkage can be used to identify the embryos that are likely to remain unaffected. The second type involves X-linked disorders where there is a significant genetic heterogeneity or in which the particular gene defect might not be identified. The third category includes chromosomal rearrangements such as Robertsonian or reciprocal translocations.
The global preimplantation genetic testing market is primarily driven by factors such as increasing rate of infertility as a result of changing lifestyle of people around the world, recent technological innovations in the field of genetic testing and analysis and increase in investment by governments as well as biotechnology companies in preimplantation genetic testing. Rising incidence of various gene-related diseases is also expected to largely contribute to the growth of the overall market. However, factors such as unfavorable regulatory policies and high procedure cost incurred for preimplantation genetic diagnosis can hamper the market growth during the forecast period.
The key players operating in the global preimplantation genetic testing market focus on strategic initiatives such as collaborative product development, regional expansion, product innovation in order to introduce advanced solutions for preimplantation genetic testing and in turn, secure a larger share of the market. Some of the major players operating in this market are, Illumina, Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., PerkinElmer Inc., CooperSurgical, Inc., Abbott Laboratories Inc., Agilent Technologies Inc., Natera, Inc., Rubicon Genomics, Inc. (acquired by Takara Bio USA Holdings, Inc.), Yikon Genomics, Oxford Gene Technology Group, SciGene Corporation, INVICTA GENETICS and Good Start Genetics, Inc.
Preimplantation Genetic Testing Market Segmentation:
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Fluorescent In-situ Hybridization (FISH)
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)
- Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH)
- Single Gene Disorders
- HLA Typing
- Structural Chromosomal Abnormalities
By Procedure Type
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis
- Preimplantation Genetic Screening
By Product and Service
- Reagents & Consumables
- Software & Services
By End User:
- Maternity Centers & Fertility Clinics
- Research Laboratories & Academic Institutes
- Hospitals, Diagnostic Labs, and Service Providers
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country