Human Microbiome Market by Product, Application and Disease - Global Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025
The microbiome is the genetic material of all the microbes such as viruses, protozoa and bacteria that reside on and inside the human body. Microbiomes outnumber human cells in the body and mostly reside in the gut, specifically in the large intestine. The human gut harbors over 10 trillion microbial cells which largely influence human metabolism, physiology and immune function. The bacteria in the microbiome help regulate the immune system, aid in digesting food, produce vitamins including riboflavin, thiamine and B12 along with vitamin K which is essential for blood coagulation. The microbiome is essential for human nutrition and immunity. Recent advancements in high-throughput sequencing along with advanced tools for analyzing metagenomic data have resulted in significant evolution in the field of research related to the microbiome.
In recent years, the human gut microbiota has emerged as a key area of extensive research for better understanding of the role of microbiome on the human health. These microbes can potentially impact human physiology both in disease and in health. They protect against pathogens, contribute metabolic functions and maintain the immune system thus directly or indirectly affecting most of the human physiological functions. Imbalance of the gut microbiota has been associated with gastrointestinal conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) along with manifestation of disorders such as atopy, type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Some of the key factors driving the global human microbiome market are increasing incidence of lifestyle diseases, increasing demand for safe medication without associated side-effects and increasing geriatric population around the world. According to World Health Organization’s (WHO) Global Report on Diabetes published in 2016, the global prevalence of diabetes has nearly doubled since between 1980 and 2014 rising from 4.7% to 8.5% of the adult population. In terms of number of patients, the prevalence increased from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million cases in 2014. Such high prevalence of diabetes is expected to largely contribute to the growth of human microbiome market during the forecast period.
The key players operating in the global human microbiome market emphasize on collaborations and agreements to undertake advanced research and development related to different microbiomes. For instance, in November 2016, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and ENTEROME SA, one of the pioneers in development of diagnostics and pharmaceuticals based on gut microbiome, entered into a collaborative agreement focused on immune-oncology. The collaboration was intended to discover and develop microbiome derived drug targets, biomarkers and bioactive molecules targeted towards cancer treatment. Some of the key players operating in this market are, ENTEROME SA, Merck KGaA, E. I. duPont de Nemours and Company, Metabiomics Corp., Microbiome Therapeutics, LLC, Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd, Second Genome, Inc., Vedanta Biosciences, Inc., Osel Inc. and ViThera Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Human Microbiome Market Segmentation:
- Medical Food
- Other Probiotic supplements
- Autoimmune Disorder
- Mental Disorder
- Acute Diarrhea
- Other Diseases
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country