Catheters are medical devices that are placed inside the body either to treat a particular disorder or to perform surgical procedures. Catheters are thin tube made up of medical grade material (such as polyethylene) which is inserted into a body cavity, duct or blood vessels. A catheter is inserted into the body either on permanent basis or temporary basis which can be removed when they are no longer needed. They are used for a broad range of medical functions such as drainage of fluids from the body and control of fluids or gases during surgical procedures. Catheters can also be used on regular basis for people with dysfunctional bladder due to spinal cord injury, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease or stroke. Catheters tailored particularly for use in cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, neurovascular, and urological disorders can be designed by using different medical grade material. Other uses of catheters include administration of intravenous fluids, measurement of blood and intracranial pressure and exchange of gases and fluids in premature infants.
Some of the commonly used catheters include cardiovascular catheters, neurovascular catheters, urology catheters, and intravenous catheters. Catheters come in a wide range of sizes and diameters such as 5FR, 6FR, 8FR 10FR, 12FR, 14FR, 16FR, 18FR, 20FR, 22FR, 24FR, and 26FR. Cardiovascular catheters are used to diagnose and effectively perform cardiovascular surgeries by inserting catheters in the artery of neck or arm and then threaded it to heart through blood vessels. Certain cardiovascular disorders such as coronary angioplasty can be performed effectively using cardiac catheterization owing to lower risk of complications associated with the use of catheters. Urinary catheters are other commonly used catheters for draining bladder when it cannot be emptied naturally.
Increasing geriatric population, rising incidences of lifestyle disorders such as obesity, growing prevalence of kidney failure, introduction of advanced catheters, and growing demand for minimally invasive surgical procedures are expected to propel the growth of the global market. As per a study published by Kidney Health Australia, around 19,780 people were on dialysis and expecting transplantation in 2011 and this number is projected to increase by 60% reaching 31,589 in 2020. However, high risk of developing infections with prolonged use of catheters is expected to hamper growth of the global catheters market.
Major Key players operating in the global market include Abbott Laboratories, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Boston Scientific Corporation, C. R. Bard, Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Teleflex Incorporated, Medtronic, Inc., Edwards Lifesciences Corporation, and Vascular Solution Inc. Technological innovations and new product development are key strategies adopted by these players to gain competitive edge over other players in the market. For instance, in December 2015, Vascular Solution Inc. launched Turnpike LP, a fourth version of Turnpike catheters which are exclusively used for treating coronary and peripheral interventions. This version of Turnpike catheter provides higher flexibility in the distal shaft and is made up of special design elements that increase overall efficiency of deliverability of the catheter.
Increasing scope of application of catheters and rise in adoption rate will provide large number of opportunities for the key players operating in this market. Furthermore, increasing research and development activities will further propel the market growth. Geographical expansions through partnerships and strategic acquisitions will provide opportunities for key players to expand their business boundaries for acquiring larger market share. For instance, in February 2017, Teleflex Incorporated acquired Vascular Solutions Inc. for expanding their intravenous access product portfolio. This strategic acquisition helped the company to accelerate its business by entering into coronary and peripheral vascular segment.
Catheters Market Segmentation:
- Urology Catheters
- Cardiovascular Catheters
- Intravenous Catheters
- Neurovascular Catheters
- Specialty Catheters
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country