Casein proteins are large molecular weight biopolymers with molecular masses ranging from 5000 up to several million Daltons. Casein is mixture of several proteins commonly found in mammalian milk making up to 45% of human milk which plays an important role in providing nutrition and immunity to the newborns. Caseins are composed of several granular multi molecular structures made up of similar proteins called casein micelle. In addition, casein micelle consists of water, calcium and phosphorous molecules. The micelle structure of casein in milk is important for digestion of milk in intestine and stomach and form basis for milk product industries to separate protein and other components from cow milk. Casein proteins are made up of large number of amino acids which are hydrophobic in nature, making it poorly soluble in water. Caseins are of two types: edible and industrial casein. Due to their high amount of polar groups, caseinate provides good adhesion to different substrates such as wood or glass, which makes them excellent barriers to non-polar substances such as oxygen, carbon dioxide and aromas.
Caseins and its derivatives are used in wide range of food and non-food industries owing to their functional benefits of structure formation, water binding ability and high viscosity and heat stability. Edible grade casein is excellent moisture retainer and food stabilizers and is widely used in coffee whitener, imitation powder, instant breakfast and dairy products such as ice-creams and cheese. Another major application of casein protein is in paper and wood industry as a binding agent. Casein can be converted to glue by stirring it with distilled water and sodium bicarbonate in presence of antiseptic to prevent formation of molds. Furthermore, casein protein promotes gut health by increasing metabolism and dental health by reducing effect of enamel erosion. Above all, casein being excellent source of several functional amino acids with varying properties that helps to promote overall health of individual by improving cardiovascular and nervous system.
Increasing elderly population with higher risk of developing health issues and significant rise in health awareness levels among consumers is expected to drive growth of the market. Furthermore, increasing demand for functional and nutritional foods such as probiotic drinks will increase demand for casein and its products. Moreover increasing application of casein in several industries owing to their properties such as emulsifiers and binding agents will further propel growth of the market in coming years. However, increasing manufacturing cost, fluctuations in supply of raw materials and decreasing preference for low carb diet is expected to hamper growth of the market.
Some of the major players operating in this industry include Amco Proteins, Clarion Casein Ltd., Charotar Casein Company, Frieslandcampina DMV, Erie Foods international Inc., Kerry Group, Lactoprot Deutschland GmbH and Westland Milk Products. These companies are focusing on expanding their market share through mergers and acquisitions and through collaborations and partnership agreements. For instance in April 2015, Arla Foods and the DMK group had entered into partnership to open brand new production facility at Northern Germany for large scale processing of whey proteins for supplying high quality of whey protein concentrate and lactose to Arla’s global DMK group ingredient business.
Technological advancements coupled with increasing research and development will provide lucrative growth opportunities for market players. For instance U.S. Department of Agriculture and American Chemical Society are focusing on developing environmental friendly and edible packaging material made of casein. Casein is 500 times more effective at protecting food oxygen thereby less spoilage of food during transportation. Such developments will provide number of growth opportunities for manufacturers of casein as well as manufacturers of packaging material. Furthermore, emerging markets especially India and China will drive growth of the casein industry owing to increasing demand for nutritional foods and increasing disposable income of the people.
Casein and its Derivatives Market Segmentation
- Casein Hydrolysates
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Functional Foods
- Food Supplements
- Sports Foods
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country