Like different types of beans, soybeans are a rich natural source of quality vegetable protein which is very low in carbohydrates and fats, having an excellent amino acid profile. Edible soy proteins can be classified on the basis of minimum protein content on a moisture free (dry) basis as: soy flour with ~50%, soy concentrates with ~70% and soy protein isolates with ~90% protein content. Soy protein isolate is a powder food ingredient which is isolated or separated from other components of soybean. This separation makes it extremely rich in protein and nearly fat and carbohydrate free. Soy protein isolate can be used as an ingredient for preparing a variety of food products such as infant formulas, varieties of liquid soy milk, bottled fruit drinks, power bars, sauces and soups, breads and breakfast cereal among other nutritious food products. The most economical form of soy protein isolate is plain powder without any other added ingredients. Soy protein concentrate is prepared from high quality, clean dehulled soybean seeds after removing majority of the oil and non-protein constituents that are water soluble. Normally, about 750 kg of soy protein concentrate can be obtained from 1 metric ton defatted soybean flakes. There are three major techniques to extract soy protein concentrates without solubilizing major protein fractions viz. the aqueous alcohol wash process, heat denaturation or water wash process and the acid wash process. The most commonly used method is alcohol extraction. However, this method may result in loss of most of the soy isoflavones. By using water extraction technique to remove the sugars, good retention of isoflavones can be achieved. Soy protein concentrate is widely used in a variety of food products majorly in breakfast cereals, baked foods and in some meat products as functional or nutritional ingredients.
Soy proteins have also been proved to offer health benefits in prevention of chronic diseases such as heart related diseases, hypertension, menopause, diabetes, certain type of cancers and osteoporosis. The FDA has approved a health claim related to soy proteins which states that a daily dietary intake of 25 grams of soy protein as a part of a diet which is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease. A typical serving of soy milk contains about 7 grams of soy protein whereas a serving of textured soy protein can contain offer around 12 grams of protein. Apart from these immense health benefits, soy proteins have excellent functional properties in terms of emulsification, water absorption and texture.
Some of the key factors driving the soy protein ingredients market growth are, rising consumer inclination towards vegetarian products for protein as substitutes for meat products, increasing cost of mat products and easy availability of an array of ready to eat products with soy protein ingredients. Increasing adoption of soy protein isolates in infant foods and functional whey supplements will further boost the market growth in coming years. However, concerns related to the adverse health effects due to consumption of genetically modified soybean products can hinder the market growth to some extent.
The key players operating in the global soy protein ingredients market focus on development and aggressive marketing of innovative soy food products in the form of ready to eat products, beverages, nutritional supplements and other such products. Applications of soy protein ingredients in functional foods, meat alternatives and dairy products will witness high adoption by the industry in coming years propelling the overall market growth. Some of the major players in global soy protein ingredients market are, Archer Daniels Midland Company, Wilmar International Ltd., Cargill, Incorporated., Kerry Inc., Dean Foods Company, Omega Protein Corporation, Kellogg NA Co., ARMOR PROTEINES SAS and Bunge Alimentos SA.
Soy Protein Ingredients Market Segmentation
- Soy Protein Isolates
- Soy Flours
- Soy Protein Concentrates
- Bakery & Confectionery
- Dairy Replacements
- Functional Foods
- Infant Foods
- Meat Alternatives
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country