Soft tissues are primary group of mesenchymal tissue that supports and protects human body and structures such as organs. Soft tissues include ligaments, tendons, blood vessel, fibrous tissues and fats. The major cells of soft tissues are mesodermal in origin and non-epithelial in nature. Soft tissues are characterized by complex mechanical behavior and its mechanical properties vary from one person to another. Human soft tissues are highly deformable and are layered structures. The mechanical property of soft tissues depends on age, topography, physical and chemical environmental factors and osmotic pressure and pH of the cells.
Soft tissues injuries are damages to muscles, tendons and other soft tissues resulting in pain and inflammation. Most of the time soft tissue injuries are result of sudden or unexpected movement such as rolling over ankle or repetitive motions of body parts. Bruises, sprains and muscle contusions are some of the common soft tissue injuries characterized by damage to blood vessels resulting in characteristic purple color and swelling. Treatment depends on severity of injury. In the early stages cold therapy is often used to reduce swelling followed by electrotherapy to repair damaged ligaments. Conditions like tendinitis and bursitis can be effectively treated with anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids injection and splinting. Fixation devices and surgical mesh are also used to repair soft tissue injuries.
Increasing geriatric population with high risk of soft tissue injuries resisting body movement and function is key factor responsible for the growth of the global market. According to report published by U.S. Census Bureau in 2015, around 617 million people were of aged 60 and above and this number is expected to double and reach 1.6 billion by 2050. Such increasingly elderly population will surge demand for soft tissue repair treatments. Furthermore, increasing participation in sports, rise in disposable income of people and continuous technological innovations in medical devices will propel growth of the market. However, dearth of skilled professionals and high cost of treatment will hamper growth of soft tissue repair market.
Major players operating in the market are C.R Bard, Inc., Smith & Nephew plc., Wright Medical Group, Inc., Lifecell Corporation, Ethicon US, LLC., Arthrex, Inc., LifeNet Health, Inc., Medtronic plc., Integra Lifesciences Corporation and American Medical Systems Inc. These players are focusing on new product development and acquisitions to acquire larger market share and to gain competitive advantage. For instance in February 2014, Smith and Nephew plc. had acquired medical device company ArthroCare Corp. to strengthen their sports medicine business by expanding their product portfolio and to strengthen their position in established as well as emerging markets.
Advancements in technologies such as development of 3rd generation tissue engineering cartilage for developing cartilage therapy based on mesenchymal stem and progenitor cells will provide ample growth opportunities for market players. Furthermore, increasing sports activities and rise in demand for minimal invasive surgeries will propel growth of the market in coming years.
The Global Soft Tissue Repair Market Segmentation:
- Laparoscopic Instruments
- Fixation Devices
- Suture Anchors
- Interference Screw
- Dental Repair
- Hernia Repair
- Dural Repair
- Pelvic and Vaginal Prolapse repair
- Orthopedic Repair
- Breast Reconstruction
- Head and Neck products
- Skin Repair
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country