Portable oxygen concentrator (POC) is a portable medical device that delivers oxygen to patients if they have a condition resulting in low levels of oxygen in their blood. Sometimes, it is called as oxygen generator. POC is more mobile as it is small in size as compared to home oxygen concentrator. These concentrators provide 95% pure oxygen to patients through a mask. These are also used by travellers and mountaineers in places where there is inadequate oxygen supply. There are two types of POC, namely, pulse flow and continuous flow portable oxygen concentrators. Pulse dose technology is the most preferred technology for portable home oxygen concentrators as it is more reliable and safe compared to other technologies. Moreover, the adoption of these concentrators is growing rapidly in homecare settings due to high patient base coupled with rapidly aging population worldwide.
Portable oxygen concentrators market is primarily driven by the benefits offered such as convenience of usage, light weight as compared to other concentrators, and ability to offer effective care for COPD patients at home. Increasing aging population is one of the major factors responsible for the market growth. According to United Nations, geriatric population is expected to reach more than 2 billion by 2050. Aging population is at more risk of developing respiratory infections such as asthma, pulmonary hypertension, and COPD that will boost demand for oxygen concentrators leading to increase in market growth. In addition to this, technological advancements, rise in disposable income of people, and various government initiatives to spread awareness about disease will stimulate industry growth. Rise in consumption of cigarettes and continuous exposure to dust and other pollutants will shoot up demand for these concentrators. However, stringent approval guidelines for using and disposing of such products will restrain the market growth.
Another factor driving the market is the increase in number of COPD and asthma patients. According to European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI), in 2013, around 300 million people were suffering from asthma and the number is expected to increase by 100 million by 2025. In terms of global years lived with disability, the Global Asthma Network states that asthma is the 14th most important medical condition worldwide. Further, it also states that, asthmatic symptoms are experienced by 14% of the total children population across the world.
Moreover, technological improvements in the treatment of asthma and COPD can further fuel the growth of this market. Companies have introduced tracking devices and mobile applications which helps asthma patients to manage their symptoms. For instance, inhalers with GPS tracking devices are revolutionizing asthma management. The GPS helps in tracking the location and time of the attack whenever a patient has an attack and tries to reach the inhaler. Further, the information is sent to a remote server.
Major players operating in this market are Invacare Corporation, Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare, Precision Medical Inc., Inogen Inc., Chart Industries Inc., O2 Concepts LLC, Koninklijke Philips N.V., and GCE Group. These companies have adopted both organic and inorganic growth strategies to expand and strengthen their product portfolio and geographical reach.
Homecare Oxygen Concentrators Market Segmentation:
- Pulse Flow
- Continuous Flow
By End User:
- Homecare Settings
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country