The normal core temperature in humans is between 35.5 to 37.5°C. It depends on various factors such as the time of the day and method used for the measurement. Also, there is significant difference between the surface temperature of the body and the core (thoracic, brain and abdominal organs) with the surface temperature being lower than the core temperature. Hypothermia refers to a state where the body temperature is less than 35°C. It can further subdivided into severe (<28°C), moderate (28–32°C) and mild (32–35°C). Hyperthermia refers to a state wherein the core temperature is over 38°C.
Hypothermia is believed to have neuroprotective effects through mechanisms of action such as lowering the intracranial pressure, reducing brain metabolism which helps in restoring a required balance with cerebral blood flow in injured brain tissue, reducing systemic inflammatory response and brain tissue inflammatory response syndrome and limiting the vascular and cell membrane permeability. The use of mild to moderate hypothermia is being increasingly studied with respect to critically ill patients. In brain patients suffering from brain injuries, the extension of initial brain lesions can be effectively limited using hypothermia. Patient temperature management systems can be used to facilitate the required level of hypothermia to derive the neuroprotective effects.
The global patient temperature management market is primarily driven by factors such as increasing prevalence of cancer around the world and rising demand for modern temperature management systems. In case of cancer, the cancer cells in the patient’s body can tend to multiply with drop in the body temperature. To counter this effect, patient warming systems are employed to maintain patients’ body temperature. Moreover, technological advancements in patient temperature management systems are also expected to significantly contribute to the growth of this market during the forecast period. However, high cost of patient temperature management systems can affect the market growth during the forecast period.
The key players operating in the global patient temperature management market focus on new product development, strategic mergers and acquisitions along with expansion in regional markets. For instance, BrainCool AB, a Swedish medical Device company, entered the U.S. market after obtaining 510(k) clearance from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its temperature management system IQool in May 2017. The system is a next-generation precision surface cooling solution which manages temperature in three different anatomical areas viz. thigh, head/neck and torso. Using easy-to-apply adhesive pads, the systems effectively cools adult patients. These pads are filled with a non-toxic cooling agent and are connected to an automated chiller. In another strategic development, in November 2014, ZOLL Medical Corporation signed an agreement to acquire all the assets of InnerCool temperature management business from Philips to reaffirm its position in the market as one of the leading providers of high technology temperature management systems. Some of the key players operating in this market are, 3M Company, Medtronic plc, Smiths Medical (a part of Smiths Group plc), C. R. Bard, Inc., Geratherm Medical AG, Cincinnati Sub-Zero, Stryker Corporation, Inspiration Healthcare Group plc, The 37Company, General Electric Company, ZOLL Medical Corporation, Drägerwerk AG & Co. KGaA, Becton, Dickinson and Company and Ecolab USA Inc.
Patient Temperature Management Market Segmentation:
- Surface Warming Systems
- Intravascular Warming Systems
- Conventional Warming Systems
- Surface Cooling Systems
- Intravascular Cooling Systems
- Conventional Cooling Systems
- Other Applications
By End User:
- Emergency Room
- Neonatal ICU
- Operating Room
- Other End Users
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country