Obesity is a medical condition in which excessive fats get deposited in the body that may impact overall health. Any individual with body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 kg/m is considered as obese. Excessive deposition of fat in the body increases chance of developing various diseases including life threatening diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disorders, certain types of cancer and osteoarthritis. Obesity is primarily caused due to excessive intake of calories, lack of physical activities and genetic hereditary. Childhood obesity is associated with higher chance of premature death and disability in adulthood. Obese people are 10 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes and cancer such as kidney and liver cancer. These complications are directly caused by obesity or through mechanism sharing a common cause such as sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy diet.
Obesity can be effectively managed through surgical and non-surgical methods such as use of drugs and making changes in lifestyle. Weight loss drugs including diethylpropion and lorcaserin alter the way by which brain regulates urge to eat leading to decreased appetite. These medicines along with lifestyle changes results in effective weight loss. Surgical fat removal procedures such as Gastric bypass surgery are used when patients doesn’t respond to drugs or lifestyle changes. During surgical procedure, small part of stomach is connected to intestine to decrease the amount of fat body can take or store, leading to weight loss.
Increasing obesity rate, sedentary lifestyle and technological advancements improving success rate of surgeries is expected to propel growth of the market. Furthermore increasing awareness about obesity and its related impact on health will drive growth of the obesity treatment market. According to study conducted by World Health Organization in 2014, around 1.9 billion adults of aged 18 and more were overweight out of which around 600 million people were obese whereas around 41 million children under the age of 5 were overweight. It is projected that by 2050, nine out of 10 adults will be overweight or obese. Such high prevalence will increase demand for surgical as well as non-surgical methods for treating obesity.
Major players operating in the global market include Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., Ethicon, Inc., Atkins Nutritionals, Inc., Herbalife Ltd., Apollo Endosurgery, Inc., Johnson Health Technology, Ltd., and Technogym Spa. These companies are focusing on development and commercialization of new combination drugs and safety product for gaining competitive edge over other players in the market. For instance in May 2016, Apollo Endosurgery, Inc., has launched ORBERA coach platform. ORBERA is non-surgical weight loss procedure especially designed for adult people suffering from moderate to heavy obesity. This treatment is specifically useful for people which show no response to other forms of treatments such as exercise and pharmaceutical interventions.
Although lifestyle changes aim at reducing calorie intake and increasing energy expenditure is significant for obesity management, however new technological innovations such as digital health technology will provide ample growth opportunities for market players. Wearable trackers are those devices that track physical activity. These devices collect information and provide feedback via smartphones. Furthermore, software may become so sophisticated that it can predict when people are likely to run into trouble by tracking health behaviors. Such technological advancements will provide lucrative growth opportunities for dominant as well as emerging players.
The Global Obesity Treatment Market Segmentation:
- Appetite Suppressants
- Combination Drugs
By Devices and Surgery
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch
- Adjusting Gastric Banding
- Sleeve Gastrostomy
- Endoscopic Procedures
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country