Nutraceuticals are broad term used to describe any product derived from food sources with extra health benefit addition to basic nutritional benefits found in food. Nutraceuticals are non-specific biological therapies used to enhance overall health and well being of individuals. Nutraceuticals represents products derived from natural food which are often concentrated either in liquid, pills or capsule form. Nutraceutical products are classified generally on the basis of source from which they are derived and are grouped in the following classes: dietary supplements, functional food, and medicinal food. Functional foods are food products containing additives that deliver enhanced benefits in addition to basic nutritional value. Some functional food products are developed around certain functional ingredient such as probiotics and sterols whereas other functional foods or drinks can be food fortified with additional nutrients to impart positive influence on health of the individual. These nutraceutical ingredients help in overcoming some of the major health problems including obesity, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and cholesterol.
Nutraceuticals ingredients covers wide range of therapeutic areas from small infections such as cold, cough, sleeping disorders to prevention of life threatening diseases including cancer and cardiovascular diseases. It may range from dietary supplements to genetically modified food products to enhance nutritional value. Probiotics are food products which are used to improve gastrointestinal flora through live microbial feed supplement. Probiotics are used to treat or improve number of gastro intestinal conditions such as lactose intolerance, acute diarrhoea and antibiotic associated complications. Another major class of nutraceutical is amino acid. Amino acids are building block of proteins made up of basic amino group and carboxyl group. Amino acids are primarily used for improving muscle growth, reduce fatigue, fasten fat burning process and improve mental well being.
Increasing elderly population and rise in incidences of chronic diseases globally is expected to play significant role in the growth of the market. Geriatric population has rapidly increased in past few decades owing to improved healthcare infrastructure. According to National Institute of Aging U.S., in 2010 around 524 million people were aged 65 and above and this number is expected to triple and is expected to reach 1.5 billion by 2050. Such high prevalence of elderly people will significantly increase demand for nutraceutical food products. Furthermore, increasing application of nutraceutical ingredients owing to unique properties such as high nutritional value will further propel the growth of the market. However, high cost of Research and development and high price of nutraceutical ingredients is expected to hamper growth of the market.
The major players involved in the manufacturing of nutraceutical ingredients are Cargill, Du Pont, BASF SE, Archer Daniels Midland Company, Associated British Foods plc. , Koninklijke DSM N.V., Ingredion Incorporated, Ajinomoto Co., Inc., Arla Foods, and Tate & Lyle PLC. New product launch is common business strategy adopted by major players operating in the market to gain competitive advantage by acquiring through novel products. For instance, Ingredion Inc in July 2016, has launched four pulse based ingredients- Vitessence Pulse CT 3602 faba bean protein concentrate, Vitessence Pulse CT 1552 pea protein concentrate, Homecraft Pulse CT 1203 pea flour and Homecraft Pulse CT 2201 lentil flour to increase protein content of the food.
Emerging and developing markets are expected to provide lucrative growth opportunities for key players owing to large population with higher need for nutritional food products. In addition, growing demand for functional foods and probiotic drinks will help producers to diversify their agriculture and marine-based crops thereby increasing nutraceutical ingredient production. Furthermore, advancements in food encapsulation technology and delivery system for food ingredient will propel growth of the market in coming years.
The global nutraceutical ingredients market is segmented as follows:
- Proteins & amino acids
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Fibres & specialty carbohydrates
- Phytochemical and plant extracts
- Functional food
- Functional beverages
- Dietary supplements
- Animal nutrition
- Personal care
By Health Benefit
- Gut health
- Health benefit
- Bone health
- Weight management
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country