Hearing loss is a partial or total impairment of the ability to hear. It is also known as hearing impairment. Hearing loss can arise from hereditary as well as non-hereditary factors or due to certain complications during childbirth or pregnancy. Acquired causes of hearing loss may include infectious diseases such as meningitis, measles or other chronic ear infections.
There are three types of hearing loss, namely, sensorineural, conductive, and mixed hearing loss. Conductive hearing loss occurs due to problems related to the ear drum, middle ear and its little bones, or ear canal; while problems related to the inner ear leads to sensorineural hearing loss (also known as nerve-related hearing loss). Mixed hearing loss is a combination of sensorineural and conductive hearing loss.
Rise in the number of cases of deafness due to increasing levels of noise pollution along with ear infections, birth complications and genetic disorders are the key drivers for the hearing screening & diagnostic devices market. Hearing impairment is the most frequent sensory deficit in humans, affecting more than 250 million individuals worldwide. It is becoming a severe social and health problem in the elderly population. This is leading to impaired exchange of information due to hearing loss, causing loneliness, dependence, and frustration, as well as communication disorders, thus significantly impacting everyday life of the elderly.
Elderly people are more prone to hearing impairments. As per National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), around 37.5 million American adults aged 18 years and above suffer from hearing impairment. Hence, growing geriatric population base is set to further boost the demand for hearing screening & diagnostic devices, as this age group of people is more prone towards developing hearing disorders. Such high target population will bring in ample growth opportunities for the key players to develop technologically screening & diagnostic products.
Moreover, increased focus of key players on the development of innovative hearing screening and diagnostic systems to meet the unmet medical needs will further propel the market growth. For instance, in June 2014, Natus Medical Incorporated introduced the Echo-Screen III hearing screener, which is an advanced handheld hearing screening device. This product development helped the company to strengthen its product portfolio to sustain its position in the market. Some of the major players operating in this market are Otometrics A/S, Natus Medical Incorporated, Vivosonic Inc., Siemens Healthcare, iHear Medical, Welch Allyn, Audiology Systems, and MAICO Diagnostics GmbH, and Interacoustics.
Hearing Screening & Diagnostic Devices Market Segmentation:
By Type of Test:
- Bone Conduction Test
- Most Comfortable Listening Level Test (MCL)
- Tympanometry Tests
- Speech Discrimination Test
- Pure-Tone Test
- Uncomfortable Loudness Level Test (UCL)
- Speech Reception Threshold Test (SRT)
By Type of Device:
- Screening Devices
- Audiometric Examination Devices
- Conductive Hearing Loss
- Sensorineural Hearing Loss
- Combination Hearing Loss
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country