Drug device combination is combining two or more different types of products including medical devices, biologics and drugs. With drug device combination products there is an increase in overall efficacy and percentage of patients who respond. The efficacy depends upon the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetic properties of the drug used in combination. There are different types of drug device combination products. In case of infusion pumps, fluids such as nutrients and medications are administered into a patient’s body in controlled amounts. Next drug device combination product is inhaler which helps in administering drug to a patient via lungs. Further, transdermal patch is an adhesive pad which is placed on skin to administer a time released dose of medication directly into the bloodstream via skin. In case of drug eluting stents such as urethral stents, the stent is coated with medicines such as heparin which is an anti-coagulating agent. This stent maintains the urinary flow from the kidney to the bladder while avoiding coagulation. Another drug device combination product is orthopedic drug combination product such as antibiotic bone cement which is used for treating infected joint arthroplasties. Next combination product is drug device combination, in which duration of action of a drug and intensity is increased. It reduces the dosage frequency and improves patient compliance. Wound care products are used in managing wounds. In case of photodynamic therapy devices, a photosensitizer and a type of light is used to treat tumors on the skin.
The major factor driving the growth of drug devices market is increase in the prevalence of chronic diseases. According to European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI), in 2013, around 300 million people were suffering from asthma and the number is expected to increase by 100 million by 2025. In terms of global years lived with disability, the Global Asthma Network states that asthma is the 14th most important medical condition worldwide. Further, it also states that, asthmatic symptoms are experienced by 14% of the total children population across the world. Additionally, increase in the adoption of point of care treatments will also boost this market. Moreover, increase in the geriatric population will also drive this market. For instance, according to WHO, in 2015, 900 million people were 60 years of age or older and the number is expected to reach up to 2 billion by 2050.
The key strategy followed by the major players in the drug device combination market is product launch to gain competitive advantage and more market share. For instance, in 2016, AstraZeneca’s Bevespi Aerosphere was approved by the FDA for patients with COPD. It is a metered dose inhaler which contains combination of two drugs, namely, glycopyrrolate and formoterol fumarate. With the launch of this drug AstraZeneca will gain competitive advantage and more share in the market.
The major players in the drug device market are Medtronic, Terumo Corporation, W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., C.R. Bard, Inc., Johnson & Johnson Private Limited, Stryker Corporation, Medline, Medtronic, Mylan Inc., and, Becton, Dickinson and Company, and Pinnacle Biologics.
Drug Device Combination Market Segmentation:
- Metered Dose
- Dry powder
- Peripheral Vascular Stents
- Coronary Stents
- Orthopedic Combination Products
- Antibiotic Bone Cement
- Bone Graft Implants
- Wound Care Products
- Transdermal Patches
- Photodynamic Therapy Devices
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country