Artificial heart lung machine are used in cardiovascular diseases. Symptoms of cardiovascular disease are fatigue, heartburn, pain in chest, nausea or shortness of breath, arrhythmia. Risk factors are diabetes, physical inactivity, hypertension, age, stress, family history and high cholesterol. Artificial heart lung machine is medical equipment used in open heart surgery which provides mechanical circulatory support to the heart and lungs. Artificial heart lung machine is used in cardiopulmonary bypass surgery, acute respiratory failure treatment, cardiothoracic surgery and lung transplant operation. Cardiopulmonary bypass is a technique, in which artificial heart lung machine maintains the circulation of blood and the oxygen content of the body during surgery. Normally this is the function of the heart and lungs.
It is also know cardiopulmonary bypass machine. There are six parts in the artificial heart lung machine, namely, oxygenator, blood pumps, tubing system, blood filters, reservoir, and cannulae. There are two types of pump used in artificial heart lung machine namely roller pump and centrifugal pump. The oxygenator is responsible of the vital gases during the cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. The tubing system connects the individual components to the extracorporeal system. Blood filters which are integrated into the system avoids microembolism caused due to foreign particles. The reservoir collects and filters the blood. Cannulae are used to transfer oxygenated blood back to the system circulation. The chamber of the artificial heart lung machine receives all the blood from the body. Then through the oxygenator, blood is pumped by the machine. The oxygenator then separates and eliminates the carbon dioxide and adds oxygen to the blood. Further, the oxygenated blood is pumped back to the body by the pump.
The major factor driving the growth of artificial heart-lung machine market is increase in the prevalence of cardiovascular disease. For instance according to American Heart Association, in U.S., nearly 92.1 million adults are living with some type of cardiovascular disease or the repercussions of stroke. It also states that about every 40 seconds, someone in the U.S. has a stroke and worldwide the prevalence of stroke was 25.7 million in 2013. Moreover technological advancement such as portable heart lung machine will further boost the growth of this market. For instance, in August 2013, Fraser Health, designed unique portable heart-and-lung machine. This machine weighs less and occupies less space in the room. However, dearth of skilled professionals will hamper the growth of artificial heart lung market.
The key strategy followed by the major players in the market is merger to gain the market share. For instance, in February 2015, Sorin Group merged with Cyberonics Inc., and emerged as LivaNova PLC. By this merger, LivaNova PLC will be a major player in cardiac rhythm management and will gain more market share.
The major players in the artificial heart-lung machine market are LivaNova PLC, Medtronic, Braile Biomédica, MAQUET Holding B.V. & Co. KG, Terumo Corporation, and Tianjin Huikang Medical Equipment Co., Ltd.
Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market Segmentation:
- Double Roller Pump HLM
- Single Roller Pump HLM
- Acute Respiratory Failure Treatment
- Lung Transplant Operation
- Cardiac Surgery
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country