An ampoule is a small sealed vial made up of glass or plastic containing solution or powder that is usually made into solution for intravenous and intramuscular injections. Ampoule is used to store pharmaceutical chemicals and biologics that must be protected from harmful air contaminants. These vials are hermetically sealed by making them airtight by melting top with open flame. Glass ampoules are more expensive as compared to plastic ampoules however they are extensively used in situations where blocking of gases and liquids is required to protect pharmaceutical solutions. Syringes are reciprocating pump consisting of piston integrated into cylindrical tube that is used to inject medications into the body. Syringes are frequently used to administer various clinical drugs and medicine into blood stream. Syringes are of different types such as disposable syringes, safety syringes, injection pens, specialty pumps and insulin pumps. Syringes specially designed to inject insulin into the body are shorter in length and effectively delivers insulin without rupturing blood vessels.
Ampoules are widely used for packaging of sensitive clinical medications. Number of materials is used for manufacturing ampoule including plastic, glass and cyclic olefin copolymer. Cyclic olefin copolymer (COC) is relatively new class of polymer which is used in wide range of pharmaceutical packing applications such as packaging film, vials and ampoules. Benefits such as low moisture absorption rate, high transparency, BPA free, high heat resistance and minimum estrogenic activity make COC an ideal packaging material for pharmaceutical drugs. Whereas glass syringes are used to deliver drugs by connecting to other devices such as needles, needleless luer locks and other transfer units. Glass syringe are still widely preferred owing to lower level of contaminants due to low traces of metals and they can be used to store blood sample which can be used later for diagnosis.
Continuous advancements in biologics, rapid development of pharmaceutical sector, increasing prevalence of diseases and patent expiry of leading biologics which led to introduction of biosimilars globally, is expected to drive the growth of the market. Furthermore increasing awareness about safe clinical medicine delivery options such as pen needles and rise in adoption of safety needles will propel growth of the market. However high cost of special packaging required for sensitive medicines and increasing incidence of product breakage is expected to hamper growth of the market.
Some of the major players operating in the global ampoule and syringe market include Vetter Pharma International GmbH, Nipro Corporation, Stevanato Group, TOPAS Advanced Polymers, Baxter International Inc., Unilife Corporation., Medtronic, Ypsomed Holding AG, Becton, Dickinson and Company., West Pharmaceutical Services Inc., and Zeon Corp. Major players are focusing on new product launch for effective drug delivery to patients. For instance, Terumo Corporation in Jan 2017 has launched new syringe known as PLAJEX polymer refillable syringes. This new container closure system is user friendly with easy grip twist off tip cap. Contact material for syringe is carefully selected to prevent breakage and leachables.
Pharmaceutical packaging market is rapidly evolving and has gone through changes in the past few decades. Market is expected to witness positive scenario in forthcoming years owing to continuous product up gradation impacting demand for syringes and ampoules. Although syringes and ampoules will remain in use, the market is rapidly moving towards prefillable syringes, pen systems and automatic injections. Many players are even focusing on designing customized delivery system to acquire more customers and ultimately larger market share.
Ampoule and Syringes Market Segmentation:
By Product Type
- Others (PET, EVA, Polycarbonate)
- Cyclic olefin copolymers (COC)
- Cyclic olefin polymers (COP)
- Glass Syringes
- Polymer Syringes
- Cyclic olefin copolymers (COC)
- Cyclic olefin polymers (COP)
- PP and others.
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
We use both primary as well as secondary research for our market surveys, estimates and for developing forecast. Our research process commence by analyzing the problem which enable us to design the scope for our research study. Our research process is uniquely designed with enough flexibility to adjust according to changing nature of products and markets, while retaining core element to ensure reliability and accuracy in research findings. We understand both macro and micro-economic factors to evaluate and forecast different market segments.
Data is extensively collected through various secondary sources such as annual reports, investor presentations, SEC filings, and other corporate publications. We also refer trade magazines, technical journals, paid databases such as Factiva and Bloomberg, industry trade journals, scientific journals, and social media data to understand market dynamics and industry trends. Further, we also conduct primary research to understand market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, and competitive scenario to build our analysis.
Data Collection Matrix
Data Collection Matrix
Primary Data Sources
- Distributors & Wholesalers
- Healthcare Providers
Secondary Data Sources
- Annual Reports/SEC Filings/ Investor Presentations/ Press Releases
- Government/Associations Publications
- Case Studies
- Reference Customers
Market Modeling and Forecasting
We use epidemiology and capital equipment-based models to forecast market size of different segments at country and regional level.
- Epidemiology-based Forecasting Model: This method uses epidemiology data gathered through various publications and from physicians to estimate population of patients, flow of treatment of individual disease and therapies. The data collected through this method includes statics on incidence of disease, population suffering from disease, and treatment population. This method is used to understand:
- Number of patients for particular device or medical procedure and
- Repeated use of particular device depending on health and condition of patient
- Capital-based Forecasting Model: This method of forecasting is based on number of replacements, installed-based and new sales of capital equipment used in various healthcare and diagnostic centers. These three parameters are calculated and forecast is developed. Installation base is calculated as average number of units per facility; while sales for particular year is calculated from number of new and replace units. Secondary data is collected through various supply chain intermediaries and opinion leaders to arrive at installation and sales rate. These techniques help our analysts in validating market and developed market estimates and forecast.
We do forecast on basis of several parameters such as market drivers, market opportunities, industry trends government regulations, raw materials supply and trade dynamics to ensure relevance of forecast with market scenario. With increasing need to granulized information, we used bottom-up methodology for forecasting where we evaluate each regional segment differently and combined all forecast to develop final market forecast.
We believe primary research is a very important tool in analyzing and forecasting different markets. In order to make sure accuracy of our findings, our team conducts primary interviews at every stage of research to gain deep insights into current business environment and future trends and key developments in market. This includes use of various methods such as telephonic interviews, focus groups, face to face interviews and questionnaires to validate our research from all aspects. We validate our data through primary research from key industry leaders such as CEO, product managers, marketing managers, suppliers, distributors, and consumers are frequently interviewed. These interviews provide valuable insights which help us to have better market understanding besides validating our estimates and forecast.
Quantitative Data (2017-2025)
- Market Dynamics (Drivers, Restraints, and Challenges)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Government Policies and Regulations, Patent Analysis, and Reimbursement Policies
- Porter’s Five Forces and PESTLE Analysis
- Key Developments and Competitive Landscape
- Market Assessment and Forecast
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Product
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Technology
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Application
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By End User
- Market Assessment and Forecast, By Region/Country